Monday, March 12, 2012

Artist Erin Whitty paints Neale Whitaker's portrait for the Archibald

Bio note on Erin Whitty:
Erin has painted on commission for more than 15 years and has worked part-time as an art tutor for the last seven years. Originally from Melbourne, Erin studied for a BA at RMIT. She is an expressionist painter who favours loose brushwork and lost edges. For Erin, portraiture is about capturing the subject's spirit.


Erin: 'I chose Neale for the portrait as he an interesting personality with two discernible sides. One as a discerning critic who can be tough on his disciples, and two, as a friendly, easily likeable person. I wanted to capture both facets in the portrait. The portrait pictures 'off-duty' Neale. In it he is relaxed, wearing his weekend clothing and his eyes emanate warmth. But he doesn't give anything away. I liken his expression to the Mona Lisa's smile. It implores the viewer to wonder about him as I do.'


Neale: 'I was incredibly flattered to be invited by Erin to sit for a portrait. It's an honour and I'm thrilled with the result. I was worried I might not be able to see me in the final portrait, but I'm very much there. I think she's captured much more than one dimension of me and I'm intrigued by it. And yes, she even got the raised eyebrow!'