Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Michelle Bridges- the new Oprah?


"WATCH this space." So says The Biggest Loser trainer Michelle Bridges about her TV plans.
Bridges, 41, has won a legion of devoted fans since she joined Channel 10's weight-loss show.
The fitness freak and her husband, Bill Moore, 57, have slowly turned that popularity into a mini-empire.
Bridges has penned four best-selling books, including Crunch Time Cookbook.
She has also started an online "personal" training service - The 12 Week Body Transformation - that has thousands of clients worldwide.
Now Bridges reckons it is time to host her own TV show. She is aiming for something inspirational and empowering - think Oprah.
"The Biggest Loser has given me a platform to fulfil my ambitions, to get my message across to as many people as possible," Bridges says. "I'd love to think I can be a part of people's lives to help them get what they want."
Anyone who has seen The Biggest Loser's latest series would realise a chat show is a logical extension of her work.
The singles on this year's show suffer from emotional issues intertwined with their weight problems. Bridges has to be part-psychologist and part-trainer to get contestants to shed all those kilos.
"I'm finding there are a lot of Australians out there very unhappy and a lot of them are on anti-depressants," she says.
"It (weight gain) knocks your confidence. So often, The Biggest Loser contestants start to withdraw from life.
"They stay at home, and what do you do when you stay at home, you eat. It takes a very brave person to say, 'I really want to make a change because I'm not happy'."
Bridges knows about battling and triumphing over emotional issues. Her father walked out before she was five and she was sexually assaulted at 18.
Bridges, determined not to be a victim, toughened up.
"Meeting my husband opened me up more," Bridges says. "That maturity has allowed me to understand people better, how they tick."
- The Biggest Loser Singles, Channel 10, Sunday, 6.30pm, Monday to Thursday, 7pm.